Before you take your blood pressure reading:
- Sit down comfortably for 5 minutes. You should not have had recent caffeine or exercise.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Make sure your arm is around the same level as your heart.
- Make sure your arm is relaxed.
When taking your blood pressure:
- Put the cuff on following the instructions which came with your blood pressure monitor.
- Keep still and silent.
- You can see a video with instructions at this link.
- Take at least three readings, each two minutes apart.
- Your first reading may be much higher than the next readings. If this is the case, keep taking readings until they level out.
- Use the lowest reading on the form below.
Please seek urgent medical attention if you develop any of the following:
- A blood pressure of 170/115 or above (where either number is too high, despite repeating it at least 2 times)
- Chest pain
- Changes in vision
- Severe headache
If you are pregnant and have a blood pressure of >140/90 you should see urgent medical attention.