Where are you currently in the programme and when can I expect my 1st vaccine? The government has published guidance on the order in which the vaccines should be prioritised. The order is:
- Residents in a care home for older adults and their carers – 1st DOSES COMPLETE
- All those 80 years of age and over and frontline health care workers – 1st DOSES COMPLETE
- All those 75-79 years of age – 1st DOSES COMPLETE
- All those 70-74 years of age and/or clinically extremely vulnerable (shielding) – 1st COMPLETE
- All those 65-69 years of age – Please attend a vaccination centre – this is direct government advice. You will receive a letter soon from NHS England with instructions of how to book; there are many centres across our area. We would actively encourage you to do this as the Practice are not expecting any vaccine for new cohorts until March.
- All individuals aged 16 years to 64 years with underlying health conditions which put them at higher risk of serious disease and mortality – BOOKING SOON at Milford Hospital; you will receive a text, e mail or phone call to book this.
- All those 60-64 years of age – no dates yet
- All those 55-59 years of age – not dates yet
- All those 50-54 years of age – no dates yet
The vaccines are only available on the NHS and are free of charge for everyone who is eligible and we cannot expedite you in your cohort
Can patients pick what vaccine they want? No. Any vaccines that the NHS will provide will have been approved because they pass the MHRA’s tests on safety and efficacy, so people should be assured that whatever vaccine they get, it is worth their while.
Why are you postponing second doses? The UK Chief Medical Officers have agreed a longer timeframe between first and second doses so that more people can get their first dose quickly, and because the evidence shows that one dose still offers a high level of protection after two weeks – 89% for the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine and 74% for the Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine. Getting both doses remains important so we would urge people to return for it at the right time. Please remember we cannot bring your second dose forward even if you ask your GP.
When can I expect my second dose? Patients who attended before Christmas (week commencing 21st December) at Milford War Memorial Hospital will soon receive a postal letter informing them of the date and time of your second dose. This will be at Milford Hospital again.
For our latest information please go to Wistaria and Milford Surgeries – Lymington, Hampshire
Please ensure you continue to protect yourself after your vaccination with good hand hygiene, wearing face coverings and continue social distancing. Stay safe.
Jan Lamont, Practice Manager